Kolkata: Indian government on Monday conferred the rank of ‘Colonel’ to the Vice-Chancellor (V-C) of Jadavpur University (JU) Professor Suranjan Das and Professor Sankar Kumar Ghosh of Kalyani University. The duo was appointed as ‘Colonel Commandant’ in the National Cadet Corps (NCC) at an event at Fort William.The guest of honour at the event was state Education minister Partha Chatterjee while Lt. Gen PP Malhotra, VSM, DG NCC was the chief guest. Several dignitaries from the Indian Army were also present. The V-Cs sported uniforms of the conferred ranks while the two guests pinned the accoutrements onto the uniforms of both the Vice-Chancellors. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsIn his address, Chatterjee said: ” I convey my best wishes to the Army and NCC for conferring this prestigious ‘Colonel’ rank to both the esteemed V-Cs of Jadavpur and Kalyani University and appointing them as ‘Colonel Commandant’ in NCC. It is indeed a gold-letter day. The professionalism and commitment with which the Army officers and instructors are training the cadets is praiseworthy.”JU V-C Suranjan Das said: “It is recognition for the entire state than just for an individual. It is an overall recognition for higher education in this state. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedSankar Kumar Ghosh, V-C of KU said: “We have an NCC academy on our campus and we are interacting with the youth and promoting them towards nationalism.”It may be mentioned that the conferring of the rank of the Colonel Commandant aims at increased patronage and purposeful association for the furtherance of NCC activities. It also enhances interaction of Vice-Chancellors with cadets and officers to help and guide them through their educational and NCC career.
Kolkata: The Bengal government is all set to revive the Kulpi Port project at an estimated cost of Rs 3,000 crore that is tipped to generate a minimum of 10,000 jobs.The proposal to revive the Kulpi Port that has been lying defunct for almost a decade was cleared during the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday. The Bengal government had received the proposal of investment during the Bengal Global Business Summit (BGBS) in January this year. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata Bose”The port has been lying defunct for 10-12 years. Kulpi, a riverine port, would see a minimum investment of Rs 3,000 crore. The figure may go up to even Rs 4,000-Rs 5,000 crore in the process. We are happy to inform you that at least 10,000 jobs would be created once the ancillary industries would come up centering around the port,” state Finance and industry minister Amit Mitra said at Nabanna on Thursday. He also clarified that there will be no accusation of lands and the proposal of an SEZ status had already been denied by the government. There will be a huge number of indirect employment at the port, Mitra added. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataIt may be mentioned that Dubai-based DP World had proposed to invest in the project during this year’s BGBS and the Chief Minister had readily accepted the proposal. There had been many discussions on the project for the past five years. According to the initial plans, there is a possibility of developing a long-pending container port. The proposed port in South 24-Parganas may be developed as an industrial zone around the new maritime infrastructure similar to Haldia and Kolkata. DP World will have 74 percent stake in Kulpi Port while the Bengal government will own the remaining 26 percent. The Bengal government also has a stake in an associated project where an industrial park is expected to come up around the port area. The state government had earlier received statutory clearance on the Kulpi Port project in the South 24-Parganas. The officials of the state government believe that it will attract good investments. It may be mentioned here that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had earlier said that the state will develop the Tajpur deep sea port on its own, as the Centre did “nothing” to start work on the project in the past three years.
That’s It for This Week Before I sign off, I note that Q1 GDP growth just suffered a crushing downward revision to -1.0%, pushing the US economy into contraction for the first time since 2011. In other words, we’re halfway to a recession. But don’t tell that to the stock market, which touched another all-time high on Thursday morning. That glaring disconnect—combined with the multiyear lows we’re seeing in volatility—should have anyone who’s paying attention concerned. Especially when you consider what happened the last time volatility was this low… This Is in German, but No Subtitles Are Needed… A daughter is visiting her father. She asks, “Tell me, Dad, how are you managing with the new iPad we gave you for your birthday?”