Nevada to vote on 50% renewable standard in November

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Las Vegas Review-Journal:Nevadans will be able to decide if they want to up the state’s renewable energy production after the initiative was officially qualified for the November ballot on Wednesday.Nevadans for a Clean Energy Future last month submitted more than twice the needed to make it onto the ballot. On Wednesday, the secretary of state’s office notified local county election officials and the backers of the initiative to confirm that 133,005 of the signatures were deemed valid, surpassing the needed 112,554 signatures needed to qualify.“This is a landmark day for Nevada’s families, Nevada’s air, and Nevada’s economy,” said Nevadans for a Clean Energy Future campaign manager Katie Robbins. “For far too long, we have done too little to take advantage of our immense solar and geothermal resources. For far too long, we have inhaled too many fossil fuel emissions. We will change this in November when Nevadans vote YES on Question 6 to guarantee that at least half of our power comes from renewables and begin building a better future for the economic and physical health of everyone in our state.”Roughly 20 percent of the energy in Nevada currently comes from renewable sources, and the state’s current Renewable Portfolio Standard, or RPS, calls for that figure to increase to 25 percent by 2025.Question 6 would double that standard to 50 percent by 2030, which would put Nevada’s RPS on par with the likes of California, Oregon, New York and New Jersey. Since it is a constitutional initiative petition, meaning it seeks to amend the state constitution, voters would need to approve Question 6 in 2018 and again in 2020 to become law.More: Renewable energy measure qualifies for Nevada ballot Nevada to vote on 50% renewable standard in Novemberlast_img read more

CSA appoints Beresford Williams as acting president

first_imgCRICKET South Africa (CSA) has appointed Beresford Williams as acting president of the board – following the resignation of Chris Nenzani on Saturday – with a more long-term appointment expected when the board’s annual general meeting is convened on September 5.The decision came a day after Dr Jacques Faul resigned as acting CEO of the board, not long after the organisation revealed that Nenzani had stepped down from his position over the weekend and COO Naasei Appiah had been fired.Faul, who was seconded from the Titans in December 2019, was due to return to his role with the franchise on September 15, but opted to leave his post four weeks early.While Faul was not available for comment on Monday evening, ESPNcricinfo understands that he chose to leave his post following a heated board meeting in which his position became untenable.An acting CEO is expected to be named imminently, with Appiah, who is fighting his dismissal in court, making himself “available” on a radio show minutes after news of Faul’s resignation was made public. Company secretary Welsh Gwaza, who was at the board meeting, and was unable to divulge any information, is one of the names being mentioned for the acting role.In a statement, CSA said: “Dr Faul has put in place a detail transitional plan that will ensure the organisation makes a seamless transition to a new Acting CEO that the Board will advise on shortly. The Board is forever grateful for the outstanding commitment and leadership that Dr Faul has made and continues to make to CSA and the game of cricket.”Nenzani stepped down three weeks before his term was due to end, following increasing pressure in the face of administrative upheaval.A CSA statement, issued on Monday morning, gave no reason for Nenzani’s exit, and thanked him for his time in office. “Mr Nenzani has provided valuable leadership, insight, assistance and direction in advancing the game of cricket with a focus on achieving transformation and access for the majority of the South African population,” the statement read.Not everyone feels that’s enough, though. “Given what has happened over the last nine months, the president owes stakeholders an explanation for why he is stepping down now,” Andrew Breetzke, SACA CEO, told ESPNcricinfo.Nenzani had been in the position since 2013 and served two three-year terms, the second of which was extended through a change in CSA’s constitution in 2019. That gave Nenzani an additional 12 months, to see CSA through a difficult period. But he has since said he regretted staying on. (ESPN Cricinfo)last_img read more