by Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press Posted Apr 2, 2013 5:27 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email CGI establishes Ottawa centre focused on cyber security for businesses MONTREAL – CGI Group hopes its new security centre in Ottawa will boost its Canadian business by better appealing to companies facing growing cyber security threats.The Montreal-based information technology services company said the centre, which opened at CGI’s relocated offices on the outskirts of the capital, is equipped to provide around-the-clock expertise to clients.CGI (TSX:GIB.A) spokesman Lorne Gorber said the change is part of the company’s efforts to target new business from the financial services and other sectors over the coming years to grow revenues in Canada.“If all went well, it would certainly push the Canadian business and no doubt the Ottawa business unit well into double-digit growth territory,” he said in an interview.CGI’s global cyber security operations increased with last year’s acquisition of European-based Logica.Gorber said CGI earns about $25 million in revenues annually in Canada and about $500 million globally from its roughly 1,200 employees focused on cyber security.CGI said the Ottawa security centre operations — one of three such accredited evaluation test centres in Canada — protects Canada’s largest corporations and deals with about 45 million potential cyber events each week for some 100 commercial and government clients.Last year, the cost of cyber attacks in Canada grew to $1.4 billion, undermining corporate profits and reputations, the company estimated.Gorber said the centre expects to continue adding employees as it seeks new clients and works to convince existing customers to use more of its security services, which range from product testing to making their own systems more secure and combating corporate espionage.“This is really creating a unified global offering that now allows us to go back and knock on the doors of all of our clients,” he said, adding that CGI will go after cross-border opportunities and test products at its Ottawa testing lab.Among its customers is the Canadian Payments Association, which ensures that more than $170 billion of transactions are cleared securely through its systems daily.Meanwhile, CGI said Tuesday that the World Anti-Doping Agency has signed on with its Logica subsidiary in Europe to provide a new smartphone app that will allow athletes around the globe to easily notify the agency of their whereabouts to facilitate out-of-competition testing.The software will be available for iPhone and Android smartphones in the third quarter.The app was originally launched last year by the Dutch Doping Authority for its own athletes.On the Toronto Stock Exchange, CGI’s shares closed down 22 cents to $26.65 in Tuesday trading.
“In terms of exhibition organising, works by Van Gogh are always really difficult to obtain because they mean an awful lot to the visitors of a museum who often come thousands of miles to see them. “There are two reasons.“First, they are fragile works, and for conservation reasons they either cannot travel at all or are only allowed to in very exceptional circumstances.”Secondly, they are probably the most popular paintings in all the galleries that own them, so the owning institutions are very reluctant to allow them to leave.”Susan Foister, deputy director of the National Gallery, said: “To get them all together physically would be pretty challenging and might take quite a long time.“The fact that you can actually bring them together digitally was a solution that really appealed to us, particularly just now with all the experimenting we’ve started to do with Facebook and virtual reality. Sunflowers 1888Credit:National Gallery, London Virtual Reality, used here in a Sotheby’s art exhibition For art lovers, it would be something of a holy grail: five of Van Gogh’s Sunflower paintings exhibited together, for the first time.In more than a century, no curator has managed to assemble them in the same room, with the sometimes fragile works scattered around the world and too important for galleries to lend.To break that stalemate, and in acknowledgment that the paintings will likely never be united in real life, the National Gallery has announced the next best thing: a “virtual exhibition” on Facebook Live. On Monday, they will be exhibited on Facebook in live relay, with expert curators giving a 15 minute tour of each work before handing over to the next gallery.Martin Bailey, Van Gogh expert, said the paintings had never been seen together since they left the artist’s family. Then, people queued around the gallery to see the two paintings side by side.Realising the public appetite, the National Gallery launched a project to unite their Sunflower co-owners around the world. In addition to the live broadcast, it will also be hosting a virtual reality version of the gallery, in which digital visitors can see the five paintings hanging together in one room.Willem van Gogh, the great-grandson of Theo, is narrating. He said: “Rather like the ‘Mona Lisa’ and ‘The Night Watch’, Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflowers’ are works of art that continue to intrigue and inspire, perhaps into eternity. Sunflowers, 1888 Credit:Neue Pinakothek Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. “Indeed, each generation forges a fresh, highly personal bind with them. The virtual gallery and live stream now provide a novel way for art lovers, young and old, to admire these magnificent masterpieces, from all corners of the globe. I think this is fantastic.” The gallery’s deputy director said it would likely be the only opportunity for people to see the paintings together in their lifetime, adding it was “absolutely unbeatably exciting”.The five paintings are currently hanging in galleries across three continents, from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Neue Pinakothek in Munich and the Seiji Togo Memorial Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Museum of Art, Tokyo. The National Gallery will be one of five contributors “That’s often the case with great works of art, particularly with works by Van Gogh, and Sunflowers above all.”Asked whether the Facebook live is likely to be the only opportunity for members of the public to see all five works together in their lifetimes, she added: “Absolutely. This is why it’s such a tremendous event.”The project, coordinated by the National Gallery, was inspired after a blockbuster exhibition in 2014 in which the Van Gogh Museum loaned its Sunflowers. Van Gogh had been unable to sell any of the Sunflowers during his lifetime, with the paintings passing to his brother Theo after his death and then to Theo’s wife Jo Bonger.She in turn sold off four of the paintings from 1891 to 1924, keeping one, which is now at the Van Gogh Museum, in the family.Bailey, author of The Sunflowers are Mine: The Story of Van Gogh’s Masterpiece [Frances Lincoln], said: “The five Sunflowers in the Facebook presentation have never been exhibited together – and they never will. The paintings were created in 1888/9 in Arles, in the South of France. Two other known versions of the Sunflowers will be missing from the show: one which was destroyed by fire in 1945, and another in a private collection which has not been exhibited since 1948.The Van Gogh Sunflowers Facebook relay will broadcast from August 14 at 5.50pm. Vincent van Gogh, Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear. 1889
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedSARA’s Deputy Director ‘squatting on the job,’ says Opposition LeaderJuly 25, 2018In “latest news”SARA officials earning $$$M a month in salary, benefitsDecember 11, 2018In “latest news”SARA cannot investigate corruption without formal complaint, says DirectorApril 20, 2018In “latest news” The People Progressive Party (PPP) says that the assertions by members of the incumbent Administration that the State Asset Recovery Agency (SARA) would be staffed by professionals and not political personalities was untruthful.(L) SARA Director Professor Clive Thomas and SARA CEO Aubrey Heath-RetemeyerThe Opposition’s contentions lie in the recent pronouncement by SARU’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Aubrey Heath-Retemeyer, who said that a transition period of 6-12 months would be required, after the President assents to the SARA Bill, during which critical decisions would be made regarding the structure and operations of the entity.He explained further that “during that transition period, the present personnel in the unit will remain. There will be an attempt to ensure recruitment is done, so that other elements of the unit will be put in place, so we can get on with what is required of us.”It would mean that the Director of the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU), Professor Clive Thomas will remain at the helm of that entity even though he has been openly critical towards the PPP and politically aligned to the APNU/AFC government.One of the major concerns of stakeholders was that of SARA’s Head being bestowed with a seemingly unlimited amount of power.See the Party’s full statement below:It is now obvious that members of the Government who spoke on the SARA Bill in the National Assembly, blatantly lied to the nation, when they all assured in their speeches that politicians would not staff this agency; that professional investigators will and that appointments will only be made via the parliamentary process outlined in the Bill.It is now public knowledge that the Government will not appoint a Director and Deputy Director of State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) pursuant to the provisions of the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) Bill when it is assented to, that is, by complying with parliamentary process outlined in the said Bill.Instead, the Government intends to use the current members of the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU) to act in the place of the Director and Deputy Director and other officers of SARA for a transitionary period that will last as long as 12 months.This position of the Government has confirmed what we said from the inception that SARA will be an agency staffed by politicians and imbued with a political mandate to witch-hunt, persecute, harass and intimidate identified segments of our population; that SARA has very little to do with justice but is driven by an agenda overwhelmed with political vengeance and discrimination.Is it well-known that these personnel are not only leading politicians within the coalition Government, but most of them have repeatedly made public statements conclusive of the guilt of dozens of Guyanese without any investigation, what so ever, being commenced. In fact, Clive Thomas, who is identified to act as the Director has already indicated that he has list of private properties in respect of which he will seek court orders. It begs the questions: How was this list compiled? On what basis were these properties identified? Since SARU has and never had no investigative powers, who did investigations which led to the conclusion that these properties are stolen state assets?Our opposition to SARA is now intensified. Not only are we opposed to the Bill itself, which as we have said, is unconstitutional and exposes private property to arbitrary interference and confiscation but we now express our vehement opposition to the persons who will now staff the agency. We say that they are political hacks devoid of any law enforcement and investigative training and qualifications required for the task; they certainly do not qualify as “fit and proper” persons as prescribed by both the SARA Bill and the President’s public pronouncement on the characteristics of a “fit and proper” person.We reiterate our support for any initiative, which genuinely is intended to recover stolen state assets and investigate corruption in public office. However, we maintain resolutely that SARA has nothing to do with either of those objectives. We hope by the Bill itself, the lies peddled in the National Assembly, the shutting down of the debates on the Bill in the National Assembly and now the indication that politicians who have clearly demonstrated vindictive proclivities will staff the agency, some Guyanese and some in the international community would have realized that they have been terribly misled on this matter.