Press Trust of India New DelhiMarch 29, 2019UPDATED: March 29, 2019 19:49 IST Kidambi Srikanth had been knocked out in the quarter-final in eight out of last nine tournaments (@BAI_Media Photo)HIGHLIGHTSKidambi Srikanth beat B Sai Praneeth 21-23 21-11 21-19Parupalli Kashyap beat Wang Tzu Wei 21-16 21-11Srikanth snapped his run of quarter-final finishesKidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap raised hopes of an Indian win after progressing to the men’s singles semi-finals at USD 350,000 India Open in New Delhi on Friday.Srikanth finally snapped his series of quarterfinal finishes, outwitting compatriot B Sai Praneeth 21-23 21-11 21-19 in a 62 minute duel, while Kashyap entered his first semi-final of a top-tier event (World Tour Super 500 or Superseries) in almost four years, beating Chinese Taipei’s Wang Tzu Wei 21-16 21-11 in another quarterfinal clash.Srikanth had made eight quarterfinal finishes in last nine tournaments and the Indian didn’t look to make the last eight after he lost the opening game narrowly and lagged 1-7 in the second.But a gritty Srikanth saved five game points after fighting back from 16-20 down before Praneeth staved off the challenge to take the opening game.Praneeth managed to grab a 7-1 lead to raise hopes of an upset but Srikanth came back strongly and took the match to the decider.The Champion [email protected] points out the turning point of the match as he pulls off a thriller of a match against @saiprneeth92 to reach semis of #YonexSunriseIndiaOpen2019#IndiaontheRise #badminton #srikanthkidambi pic.twitter.com/VkSFIVN4o5 BAI Media (@BAI_Media) March 29, 2019In the third game, both the shuttlers split the initial 14 points before Praneeth edged ahead 11-8. But a fighting Srikanth again drew parity at 13-13 and eventually managed to clinch two crucial points at 19-19 to seal a semi-final place.”The turning point of the match was in the second game when I was 1-7 down and I fought back. From there things changed. At 19-19 in the decider it could have gone either way, but I played well in the crucial points. I am happy with my performance,” Srikanth said.advertisementOn the adjacent court, Kashyap made a confident start, leading 6-3 early on but his three successive returns at the forehand corner of Wang went out, allowing his opponent to keep pace with the Indian who enjoyed a 11-8 lead at the break.Wang made it 16-16 with Kashyap committing a few mistakes at the net but his flat jabs and punches to the back of the court helped him to pocket the opening game.The Winning [email protected] and @srikidambi cruise into the #YonexSunriseIndiaOpen2019Keep the momentum going. #IndiaontheRise #badminton pic.twitter.com/jRc0c8do81 BAI Media (@BAI_Media) March 29, 2019Kashyap took control of the net and retrieved everything, while Wang looked erratic with his smashes. Kashyap led 6-3 again in the second game.Wang again clawed back at 8-8 but Kashyap managed to keep his nose ahead at 11-9 at the interval.The Indian marched ahead, varying the pace with his strokes, using angles and measured returns, cramming his opponent for space. He lead 18-11. A smash and drop took Kashyap closer to seal the match and he celebrated once Wang went long.”I feel good. I didn’t think about semi-final. I had a good draw and a good run and I am just happy. I have fitness issues but I don’t know why my body is feeling at ease,” said Kashyap, who had reached the finals at 2017 US Open and won the 2018 Austrian Open.”He (Wang) is a tricky player. He has good skills at the net. He takes risks and hits some good half smashes. I kept retrieving the shuttle and could attack and counter his strokes.”Also Read | All England Championships: Kidambi Srikanth beats Jonatan Christie to enter quartersAlso Read | India Open 2019: B Sai Praneeth, Parupalli Kashyap enter quarter-finalsAlso Watch | Kidambi Srikanth eyes more Super Series titlesFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted bykarishma Tags :Follow India Open 2019Follow Kidambi SrikanthFollow Parupalli Kashyap India Open 2019: Kidambi Srikanth, Parupalli Kashyap seal semi-final spotsKidambi Srikanth defeated compatriot B Sai Praneeth, while a spirited Parupalli Kashyap beat Chinese Taipei’s Wang Tzu Wei to book their places in the semi-final of the India Open.advertisement
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedSARA’s Deputy Director ‘squatting on the job,’ says Opposition LeaderJuly 25, 2018In “latest news”SARA officials earning $$$M a month in salary, benefitsDecember 11, 2018In “latest news”SARA cannot investigate corruption without formal complaint, says DirectorApril 20, 2018In “latest news” The People Progressive Party (PPP) says that the assertions by members of the incumbent Administration that the State Asset Recovery Agency (SARA) would be staffed by professionals and not political personalities was untruthful.(L) SARA Director Professor Clive Thomas and SARA CEO Aubrey Heath-RetemeyerThe Opposition’s contentions lie in the recent pronouncement by SARU’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Aubrey Heath-Retemeyer, who said that a transition period of 6-12 months would be required, after the President assents to the SARA Bill, during which critical decisions would be made regarding the structure and operations of the entity.He explained further that “during that transition period, the present personnel in the unit will remain. There will be an attempt to ensure recruitment is done, so that other elements of the unit will be put in place, so we can get on with what is required of us.”It would mean that the Director of the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU), Professor Clive Thomas will remain at the helm of that entity even though he has been openly critical towards the PPP and politically aligned to the APNU/AFC government.One of the major concerns of stakeholders was that of SARA’s Head being bestowed with a seemingly unlimited amount of power.See the Party’s full statement below:It is now obvious that members of the Government who spoke on the SARA Bill in the National Assembly, blatantly lied to the nation, when they all assured in their speeches that politicians would not staff this agency; that professional investigators will and that appointments will only be made via the parliamentary process outlined in the Bill.It is now public knowledge that the Government will not appoint a Director and Deputy Director of State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) pursuant to the provisions of the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) Bill when it is assented to, that is, by complying with parliamentary process outlined in the said Bill.Instead, the Government intends to use the current members of the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU) to act in the place of the Director and Deputy Director and other officers of SARA for a transitionary period that will last as long as 12 months.This position of the Government has confirmed what we said from the inception that SARA will be an agency staffed by politicians and imbued with a political mandate to witch-hunt, persecute, harass and intimidate identified segments of our population; that SARA has very little to do with justice but is driven by an agenda overwhelmed with political vengeance and discrimination.Is it well-known that these personnel are not only leading politicians within the coalition Government, but most of them have repeatedly made public statements conclusive of the guilt of dozens of Guyanese without any investigation, what so ever, being commenced. In fact, Clive Thomas, who is identified to act as the Director has already indicated that he has list of private properties in respect of which he will seek court orders. It begs the questions: How was this list compiled? On what basis were these properties identified? Since SARU has and never had no investigative powers, who did investigations which led to the conclusion that these properties are stolen state assets?Our opposition to SARA is now intensified. Not only are we opposed to the Bill itself, which as we have said, is unconstitutional and exposes private property to arbitrary interference and confiscation but we now express our vehement opposition to the persons who will now staff the agency. We say that they are political hacks devoid of any law enforcement and investigative training and qualifications required for the task; they certainly do not qualify as “fit and proper” persons as prescribed by both the SARA Bill and the President’s public pronouncement on the characteristics of a “fit and proper” person.We reiterate our support for any initiative, which genuinely is intended to recover stolen state assets and investigate corruption in public office. However, we maintain resolutely that SARA has nothing to do with either of those objectives. We hope by the Bill itself, the lies peddled in the National Assembly, the shutting down of the debates on the Bill in the National Assembly and now the indication that politicians who have clearly demonstrated vindictive proclivities will staff the agency, some Guyanese and some in the international community would have realized that they have been terribly misled on this matter.