SASKATOON — A former wide receiver with the Saskatchewan Roughriders has been given an absolute discharge after admitting to marijuana possession.Duron Carter’s lawyer appeared in Saskatoon provincial court and replaced his client’s not guilty plea from earlier this year with one of guilty. Carter was arrested at the Saskatoon airport in February after customs officers opened a cigar package in his luggage and found cannabis inside.A judge accepted a joint submission from the Crown and defence asking that Carter receive the absolute discharge.That means the conviction will show up on Carter’s record for one year before it is wiped out.He was also fined $100.Carter had already received an absolute discharge earlier this year on another pot possession charge in Winnipeg.Recreational marijuana became legal in Canada on Oct. 17.Carter was named most outstanding player with the Roughriders in the 2016-17 CFL season. He was let go by the team last August and joined the Toronto Argonauts.(CKOM, The Canadian Press)The Canadian Press
The judge extended a deadline until noon on Thursday for Charlie’s parents – Miss Yates and Chris Gard – to find a paediatric intensive care team that could look after the little boy around the clock.Last night, Miss Yates made a desperate plea for a specialist doctor to come forward. She wrote on Facebook: “URGENT we need a paediatric intensive care consultant to come forward to assist and facilitate with a hospice stay by 12pm tomorrow, we will pay privately. Please only email if you can help us! We need some peaceful time with our baby boy.” Connie Yates arriving at the High Court on Tuesday afternoonCredit:Carl Court/Getty GOSH had pushed for Charlie’s final days not to be dragged out. Charlie’s parents, who live in Bedfont, west London, withdrew an application on Monday seeking to have the little boy, who suffers from a rare genetic syndrome, transferred to a hospital in New York for experimental therapy. Fiona Paterson, GOSH’s barrister, told the court earlier: “It is the view of the clinical team we need to press ahead and transfer Charlie to a hospice by no later than Friday. It is simply unacceptable if this drags on another week. It is a strain on everyone involved to allow this to carry on. It is simply for no gain.”She said the transfer to the hospice should take place by Friday morning.At the start of another difficult court hearing, the parents’ barrister, Grant Armstrong, offered a glimmer of hope after a “doctor who has previous experience as a surgeon in intensive care” had come forward to provide the care for Charlie at home or at a hospice for a number of days. But the court discovered that the doctor, who cannot be named, turned out to be a GP with “no experience of intensive care medicine”. Connie Yates, Charlie Gard’s mother, arrives at the High Court on Wednesday afternoonCredit:DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP “I do want to deal with the notion this issue is being dealt with by a judge because we have socialised medicine in this country,” he said, explaining his role was to decide what was best for Charlie because the hospital and his parents were in dispute. “The notion the state is involved because we have a national health service is pure nonsense,” he added. A family friend accused Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) of making it too difficult to put a team in place.The friend said: “The hospital have set the bar so high that in terms of the clinical team for Charlie’s end of life nothing seemed good enough for GOSH. “It is extraordinarily sad that there’s been so much fuss about him dying at home. Connie and Chris have conceded a hospice but it was not their first choice. They will be devastated they have not been granted their final wishes as parents.”The precise timing of Charlie’s final hours were discussed at a hearing held behind closed doors because of the sensitivity. The judge made an order – the details of which were kept secret – that gives the precise deadline for Charlie’s removal from GOSH and the length of time he can remain in a hospice before his ventilator tube is removed. Charlie Gard is expected to be removed from the care of Great Ormond Street Hospital and taken to a hospice to die by Friday, the High Court has been told.Charlie’s mother Connie Yates broke down in court after being told her final wish for her 11-month-old son, that he be allowed to spend a week at home before his death, had been turned down.“What if that was your child?” she sobbed before saying: “I cannot be in the same room as him” possibly in reference to the judge. She then stormed out.Mr Justice Francis ruled today that Charlie could be taken to a hospice, where he would spend a few hours before his life support is switched off. Nurses from GOSH had also volunteered their services but without specialist consultants in place, the judge ruled that Charlie could not be kept on a ventilator for days outside the hospital.Mr Justice Francis also took a swipe at the American Right, which has been using the case to claim universal healthcare had failed Charlie. Show more Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.