Modric, Perkovic win Croatian sports awardsadvertisement Indo-Asian News Service December 27, 2018UPDATED: December 27, 2018 15:42 IST A traffic constable on duty at Gaur Chowk in Noida Extension (India Today File Photo)Zagreb (Croatia), Dec 27 (IANS) The best football player in the world Luka Modric got his first Croatian Sportsman of the Year award while discus thrower Sandra Perkovic won her seventh Croatian Sportswoman of the Year title.Croatian sports daily newspaper Sportske Novosti was handing out the awards for the best man, woman and team for men and women for the 67th year in a row and this time the jury didn’t have an easy task with a group of world and European champions among the candidates.However, the majority of the votes from 322 sports journalists that took part in the process went to the best footballer of the year and the discus queen who won the European champion title in 2018 for the fifth time in a row, reports Xinhua news agency. Modric and Perkovic got 299 and 284 votes respectively.”I am a faithful reader of Sportske novosti since my childhood and I know how prestigious this title is and how hard is to get it because Croatia has so many great sportsmen. It is a really great honour for me to be voted as the best,” Luka Modric said on Wednesday after he received one more personal award this year.Modric won the Golden Ball award as the best player of the World Cup in Russia despite the fact that Croatia lost the final against France, followed by UEFA and FIFA awards for the best player and, to top it all, he became the first Croatian to win the Golden Ball by France Football.–IANSkk/bgadvertisementThis is unedited, unformatted feed from the Indo-Asian News Service (IANS) wire.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byIANS
The mother of Alesha MacPhail has pleaded with judges not to reduce the 27-year sentence handed to her daughter’s teenage killer.Aaron Campbell, 17, was jailed for life after abducting, raping and murdering the six-year-old schoolgirl, who was on holiday visiting her father and grandparents on the Isle of Bute.He snatched Alesha from her bed on July 2 last year before assaulting and killing her in woodland nearby. He told the child he was a friend of her father and he was taking her home.He was ordered in March to serve a minimum of 27 years in prison but will appeal against the length of the sentence on Wednesday before three judges at the Criminal Appeal Court in Edinburgh.His legal team is expected to argue that he is too young to be handed such a long sentence.Georgina Lochrane, Alesha’s mother, said in a statement on her “Justice for Alesha” page on Facebook that the claim was “laughable”. “Do not give him any more of the attention he craves because that is just what all this is about, attention.”Campbell denied murdering Alesha during his nine-day trial before confessing after being found guilty. Aaron Campbell is appealing against the length of his sentenceCredit:PA She added that the justice system now had a chance to make an example of Campbell – by potentially increasing his sentence – and urged the court to “grasp it with both hands”.Ms Lochrane, 24, from Airdrie, wrote: “We do not have any insight as to what the outcome will be on Wednesday and what will take place other than our prayers and hopes that our justice system does not fail Alesha or listen to his bull****. Georgina Lochrane wants to see Campbell’s sentence increasedCredit:Andrew Milligan/PA In a shocking series of admissions while background reports were being prepared before sentencing he declared himself “quite satisfied” with the murder and claimed he found it hard to avoid laughing during the trial.Alesha, who suffered 117 injuries in the attack, was only a few days into her summer holiday in Rothesay on Bute, where she was staying with her grandparents and her father, Robert MacPhail.After the schoolgirl’s body was found it was Campbell’s mother who called the police after she realised he had been coming and going from their house on the night of the murder.During the sentencing, the judge Lord Matthews said he was “shocked” when he read the “cold-blooded and horrific” account the killer had given to a psychologist.Campbell is being held at Polmont Young Offenders Institution in Falkirk. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.
By Ramona LuthiIn light of the Finance Minister, Winston Jordan’s recent disclosure that Government intends to scrap a previous proposal largely centered on establishing a new three-lane, open format bridge as a replacement for the Demerara Harbour Bridge (DHB) in favour of a four-lane, fixed high level bridge, Opposition Leader, Dr Bharrat Jagdeo on Thursday asserted that Government’s approach to the initiative is “ill conceived” and will leave Guyana with a huge burden.Opposition leader Dr Bharrat JagdeoJagdeo said that while he is not against the four-lane design, Government’s way of approaching the change is what leaves space for worry.“This is ill conceived and will leave us with a huge burden in the future…” he said during his weekly press conference at his Church Street office.The Opposition Leader pointed out that the feasibility study conducted for the 3-lane bridge project had pointed out that that design was the only feasible one, which would deem the 4-lane initiative unfeasible.“If you’re going for a four-lane fixed bridge. We don’t have a problem…but the three-lane study said only the three lane bridge was feasible… Their own study says the four-lane is not feasible..,” he said.Moreover, he drew attention to the warnings he had laid upon the announcement of Government’s intention to build a three-lane bridge, asserting once again that the Administration is unprepared and does not know what they’re doing.“Now you recall what I said, you can’t leave the contractors to determine the future of this project…no money in the budget, so no funding for the bridge, we are not getting a grant, free money to build the bridge, no loan…how do you plan to finance the bridge? I said all of those things need to be pre-determined…I pointed out the Berbice bridge. That there were about 2000 pages of studies… a prospectus was developed…legislation passed to support public private partnership …and only then did the company solicit bids…they [Government] didn’t do any of these things. They just said we’re putting out the tender, the contractors will tell us what they want,” he explained.After reports surfaced of Government’s change of mind, Member of Parliament for the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Juan Edghill had urged the Administration to come clean on the matter.An artist’s impression of what the thre-lane Demerara River bridge would have looked likeAccording to Edghill, this development is indicative of three things: that the Government has no policy direction in the public infrastructure sector; that Government is prone to making ad hoc decisions; and that they follow a pattern of annulling tenders.He was at this juncture referring to the Guyana Power and Light’s (GPL’s) $3 billion tender for the installation of smart meters and transmission lines which Government annulled a few months ago.“It would appear that unless they get a specific outcome, or they are allowed to get away with their underhand dealings, their (preference) is to annul and start all over. If it was the case where they wanted a four-lane, fix-span bridge, we of the PPP have been saying to them that is the way to go. They were talking about cost,” Edghill explained.“Why would the Government want to invest US$170 million on a three-lane, retractable bridge? And we always wanted to know why. But they have been caught with their pants down, and the only way they can deal with it is annul and go for a four-lane bridge. I would specifically like to hear the Minister of Public Infrastructure give the rationale for the annulment,” he declared.Last year, a feasibility study and design for the new Demerara River Bridge had reportedly cost some $146.3 million.The 57-page final report was done by Dutch company LievenseCSO.It is understood that the feasibility study had determined the proposed location of Houston-Versailles was the most ideal and that a low-level bridge with a movable part and three-lanes was recommended for construction.Another study had been completed in 2013, when the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation had collaborated with the then Public Works Ministry to carry out a pre-feasibility analysis.That study had concluded that a ‘fixed, high level’ bridge was the best option to pursue, rather than the open model.The “fixed, high level” option would ensure that traffic would be able to flow even while boats passed underneath the structure. The bridge presently operates according to schedule in order to cater for marine traffic.There have traditionally been lengthy traffic lines during rush hour, as motorists hurry to catch the bridge before it closes. It was to solve these traffic woes and to cater for the advanced age of the DHB structure that a new bridge has been contemplated. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedGovt buckles to pressure, to undertake new fixed, four-lane Demerara bridgeJune 18, 2018In “Business”New Demerara bridge: Govt allowing contractors to take the lead unprecedented – JagdeoFebruary 19, 2018In “Business”$100M more to be set aside for expertise on New Demerara River Crossing- GovtNovember 26, 2018In “Business”